ACTS Master of Arts in Marriage & Family Therapy
In addition to the general requirements for entrance into the seminary, program admission requires the following:
- An accredited Bachelor’s degree with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.00 (on a 4.0 scale).
A minimum of 18 semester hours of undergraduate psychology credits with a B grade in each of the following courses. These prerequisites must have been completed within the 10 years prior to applying to the program.:
- Introduction to Statistics (passing grade)
- Abnormal Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Personality Theory
- Foundational Skills in Counselling or its equivalent must have been taken in the last 4 years prior to admission. Exceptions may include those who have been working in the field and obtained continuing education. If this may include you, please submit verifying documentation.
- Brain and Behaviour or Learning/Cognition
- A minimum of 6 undergraduate sem. hrs. in Bible and theology. Applicants lacking these or equivalent will complete BIE 500 and THS 540 prior to taking other biblical or theological courses in the program.
- One-semester hour course on research strategies in class or online RES 500.
- Due to the importance of verbal expression in counselling, students for whom English is a second language must have a TOEFL score of 100 IBT, and may be evaluated for conversational comprehension at the student’s expense.
- Students with slightly lower TOEFL and conversational scores, or who are deemed to have inadequate conversational and/or comprehension skills may be required to take ESL classes prior to beginning or continuing their studies.
20 Minute Video:
- To get an indication of an applicant’s ability to both listen and respond in a counselling situation, a 20-minute video is required which includes: A) A 10-minute session of her/himself “counselling” a friend about a real-life event (about which the friend is feeling fear, anger, sadness, guilt or worry); and B) A 10-minute explanation by the applicant (self on camera) of what he/she believes are the causes of depression and what he/she hopes to learn in this program to reduce depression.
- Applicants may send their video in one of 2 ways: A) Mail in a DVD disc in either Power DVD or Windows Media Player format only; B)Send a video file through yousendit.com. Signing up for a free "lite" account will allow an applicant to send up to 100MB per email. (To send more one needs to pay monthly.) However, most videos can be cut to fit this amount (or a 20 min. video can cut into 2-10 min videos and be sent separately). To sign up: yousendit.com/compare-plans. Add email@example.com in the "to" box and upload the file. An email will be sent to both the sender and Dr. Ngai.
A preliminary indication of personal fitness for counselling and of Christian character as evidenced by:
- Two letters of reference
- Two years experience in people-helping service.
Admissions interviews may be requested with prospective students interested in the program.