Instructions for Students Beginning RES 500 OL (Research Strategies) Summer 2013
1. This online course is located at: http://acts.twu.ca/Library/research500.htm. It is not password protected. You should not submit assignments through MyCourses. The syllabus and all assignments, as well as assignment submission information are available through the above website.
2. The textbook is Research Strategies: Finding your Way through the Information Fog, 4th ed. (Lincoln, NE: iUniverse.com, 2011). For information on formats (including most e-book formats), see http://acts.twu.ca/Library/textbook.htm. There is a briefer version online, but students taking the course are required to read the more comprehensive paper edition.
3. To get into RefWorks or our
databases for assignment #3 and #4 through our web page
4. When you begin the course, you will need to choose two topics upon which to base your assignments. These can be topics from the list provided on the �assignments� page of the course, topics of personal interest to you or (preferred) topics for which you are writing papers in other courses. All assignments will be based on those two topics.
5. You should first read the "syllabus" in the course website (URL listed in 1. above), then move on to "assignments."
6. I have included an assignment template for each assignment. Select the content of the assignment by holding down your left mouse button and dragging over it, then copy it and paste it into your word processor. This will serve as your guide to make sure you complete all parts of each assignment as directed.
7. As you complete each of the five assignments, you may submit them to me by e-mail or in person. If using e-mail, send them as attachments. Students may paste their assignments directly into the message of their e-mail. You need to turn in each assignment as you complete it. If you leave everything to the end, I cannot re-direct you as I could if you went off track in assignment #2.
8. Throughout the course, I am just as interested in how you got your results as the results themselves. Thus I constantly ask what sources you used, what terms you searched with, etc. Please take this seriously and provide the requested information. It is important to your grade.
9. You should contact me by e-mail whenever you are having any problems with the course (firstname.lastname@example.org) My phone # is 604-888-7511, ext. 3906, but you are much more likely to reach me by e-mail.
10. Don�t delay getting into the course. You�ll likely find it more of a challenge than you thought, though most students actually survive it well.
11. Here are the assignment due dates:
ASSIGNMENTS RES 500 OL Due Dates
Assignment #1 June 3, 2013